I love Italy!!

Having just spent the weekend in Montale in Italy a small village near Maranello with my friends I am now back in old Blighty thinking how wonderful it would be to live there permanently.  P works for Ferrari so a quick look at the lineup of road cars is obligatory then on to some restaurant they happen to have found on their weekend excursions.  We ended up in Modena for lunch at a restaurant that was hosting a wedding party as well as diners off the street - so much more civilised than the ostentatious wedding 'breakfasts' we put on.  Why not go to where the food is the best you can eat instead of the closed doors of some reception?

I remember when Geoff and I were in Venice we fell across a wedding party getting out of a gondola and making their way across the bridge to the other side of the canal to a restaurant - not exclusively set up for them but where everybody was eating.  It makes the wedding more public and enjoyable and not exclusive.  Everybody celebrates the couples happiness - Italians love weddings, babies, food and wine and they celebrate with what appears to be real feeling and emotion.  You can't help but get caught up in it.

Back to the restaurant in Modena......wonderful, amazing, delicious food.  So many dishes I couldn't even start to describe them......not a lot of raw but as I always say, "when in Rome" or "when In Modena eat the pasta and drink the Prosecco"!

I did bring home a very big prosciutto ham for Tim and Merian - it's their joint Xmas present cos it wasn't cheap!  Imagine trying to get that into NZ?!


I was hoping to get some Prosecco to bring home but the supermarkets are closed on monday morning.

Also missed the end of the fig season as K&P's fig tree had given up it's last few figs the weekend before.....sob, sigh.  I can't complain really because I made a complete pig of myself back in August when I ate 13 figs in one go and blew up like a full term pregnant elephant.

And so back to normal life.....except tomorrow I am at  a workshop to learn how to knit socks!  More later..............

Comments

Popular Posts